Monday, May 16, 2011

Introducing Olive

Hey,
my name is Nessa and I have wonderful dog named Olive. Olive is a marvelous mutt whom I adopted from a local animal rescue organization.

Olive is highly intelligent and a bit goofy. She loves frisbee, treats and cuddles (in that order) and is very loyal to her family. She knows loads of tricks and is very well behaved for the most part.

 However, she is quite shy and is fearful of strangers. She will growl and act aggressive towards them when she is frightened.
 I am teaching Olive to be non-aggressive towards all people, using the clicker training method outlined by Karen Pryor (an amazing animal behaviourist and ethologist), This is an ongoing process, which takes up a lot of my time.

 It is worth it for me, because I love my dog and I see her amazing potential. My goal is to help her feel secure, so that she can reach that potential.. I have learned so much about dog behaviour and body language, since "saving" this little mutt, and she is still teaching me more every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment